Tuesday, February 7, 2017

He Is




The corridor to the family room, the room you meet your child in, is long and narrow.

Rickety doors line the wall.




Eight families are in our travel group.

As soon as we would hear the door open from the front of the building someone would whisper,  "another one is coming."

We would all run to the door of the family room, look down that corridor and wait to see if it was ours.

We waited for 45 minutes.

Four families had been united with their new little one.

Reagan couldn't take it anymore and basically asked what the rest of us families were wondering......

"When's ours getting here?"

And then someone said those four words.

"Another one is coming."

I walked to the entrance of the room.

Looked down that corridor and waited to see what little face would come around that corner.

And then I saw my boy.

I know it sounds crazy but I secretly worried I wouldn't recognize him.

But the moment I saw those cheeks.

I knew it was my Sonny boy.

His cheeks were so red.

It looked like he had just woken up.

I waited for him to walk the corridor with his nanny.

But then he got about five feet from the family room door and stopped.

His nanny tried to coax him closer to the door.

He wasn't having it.

He pulled back from her clearly not wanting to come closer to me.

I decide to take the plunge.

And I walked out to him.

He pulled harder.  

He didn't like me coming out there.

I asked Dan to go get me his backpack.

His nanny was telling him I was his mama but he was not interested.

When I got the backpack I fumbled around trying to find something to bribe him with.

I found a helicopter Hot Wheel.

He could have cared less.

I grabbed the next thing I could find.

A Troll Pez dispenser I packed at the last minute.

He grabbed it before I could show him it had candy in it.

I contemplated whether or not I should just grab the Pez from his hands.

I felt bad but I snatched it out of his hands anyways.

I just knew if he could see the candy that I might have a chance.

As soon as I showed him the candy.

I had him.

It got a little congested in the hallway as another child had arrived so I went in to pick him up expecting the worst

But the worst didn't happen.



He sat on my lap for the next 30 minutes while we waited for the remaining children to arrive.



He leaned into me.

Gabbed my hand.

His pants were pretty slippery and he kept sliding off my lap.



At one point he grabbed my arms and wanted me to hold him around his waste tighter so he would stop sliding off.




We got on the bus to go back to the hotel and it's as if he hasn't looked back.

The last two days with this sweet boy have been amazing because Sonny is amazing.

He is brave.

He is funny.

He is precious.

He is curious.

He is cautious.

He is a mama's boy.

He.

Is.

A.

Son.



Our Forever Family Day went better than I could have EVER imagined.  I don't know what else to say except that God is good.  So very good.   Our adoption became official yesterday here in China. 
Now we wait for Sonny's passport to be issued.  We should receive it on Friday.  On Saturday we will fly to Guangdong Province where we will do all the US Immigration requirements to get him home next Friday.

4 comments:

  1. So very happy for you and your family. I look forward to hearing more of your travels, bringing Sonny home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh....how precious Danae <3 My heart just swells for you, especially as a mother, wanting and feeling that bond with our babies whether they were birthed by us or given to us by our heavenly Father. I LOVE his shirt... I have a very special friend who, several year ago, was going through a struggle and as she was entering the courthouse, I texted her. Remember who you are, you are a daughter of THE King so no matter what happens, He is on the throne and He will fight for you. That, now, is always our greeting and encouragement to one another. You, my sweet friend, are a daughter of THE King and I know that you and Dan will raise this boy to love Him and know that there is no greater love he will ever experience than the love and provision of God. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh what great news. Just a stranger who doesn't want to be a lurker: I love Jesus, adoption and stories about people who are braver than I am. Follow you from NDFH and just couldn't be happier to hear about your beautiful boy coming home. Thank you so much for sharing your family's journey with us. Many blessings and high fives.

    Brett Butler

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so cute! I just love your family!

    ReplyDelete