Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Our First Month

We celebrated our one month anniversary today as a Six Pack.  One month ago today, my world change more than I ever could have anticipated.  
June 20, 2011
  
I am not gonna lie.  In the last month there have been many thoughts of:  Why again did we do this?  But lately those thoughts have become more of:  I am so glad we did this again.

Mason Boy:  He is still that ball of energy that he was the first day that we met him, but he is channeling it a lot better…that and we have been told that he’s just a nine year old boy and that’s what nine year old boys are, a ball of energy. 

Most everyone who meets Mason comments on his smile.  He really does have an amazing smile and I’m learning that it is a very sincere smile.  He really does seem genuinely happy to be with us and to be here in the states.  The boy for the most part is a very happy guy and when I look at that smile I feel blessed.  The boy has a story to tell and I am hoping that one day he will share it with me.  He was abandoned at the age of seven.  When we told our social worker what we knew about him during one of our home study visits she said, “Well, he’s going to be angry so be prepared.”  (Thank you, social worker for the heads up and for being so blunt) but she could not be more wrong.  He may very well be angry somewhere deep inside and we are prepared for the day that he lets it out, but for now we are seeing a happy boy who is embracing this new family and life with arms wide open.

Reagan:  Oh my, where do I start?  This girl has become a total Mama’s Girl since arriving home.  Dan says it seems as if she is making up for lost time.  She needs me for everything.  Reagan has had more and more moments in the last few weeks that almost seem toddler like.  Crying over anything and everything that does not go her way.   Yelling "No!" at the top of her lungs in the grocery store when I tell her it's time to get out of the cart.  She can get set off by the littlest things.  She has responded very well to having her bath time taken away as punishment.  The girl loves her bubble baths so not getting one is like her world is ending.  She still gets a bath but instead of sitting in bubbles and playing for thirty minutes she gets to sit in a few inches of water with me washing her and the whole thing is done in less than ten minutes.  It's very unglamorous.

She saw her pediatrician and cardiologist last week.  Both appointments were very encouraging.  Her cardiologist thought that the surgeries in China were done well and at this time he has no concerns about her heart.  This summer she will still keep me busy with all areas of therapy (speech, occupational and physical), hearing specialists and ear, nose and throat doctors. 

Reagan is off the charts smart.  She amazes us with how perceptive she is with all that goes on around her.  She is very sharp witted and her humor can be very mature.  And don’t even get me going on her laugh.  It is simply the best sound.  Anyone who hears it can’t help but laugh or smile.

Bonich and Kanika:  In the last month they and Mason and Reagan have learned to enjoy each other.  In China it was interesting to me that neither Mason nor Reagan would have anything to do with the girls.  Bonich tried so hard to say “hi” to Reagan and be sweet to her but most every time she did, Reagan would slap her in the face.  Mason would often call them each other’s name on purpose.  In the last month, Mason and Reagan have come to learn that Bonich and Kanika are fun.  They help build forts, they can drive them to the park or teach them jumping tricks on the trampoline.  There are more and more moments of sweet sibling bonding.


July 20, 2011


3 comments:

  1. I'm a New Day mommy too. I couldn't wait for Raegan to find a mommy of her own. Love seeing her so happy in such a sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the first month has gone pretty well. It will only get better. It just takes time... which is the hard part, when you are in the middle of it all!

    Boys ARE a whole different breed! And after two girls, I am sure Mason seems very "different" but they are loud and active and somewhat gross at times. But I also find that they are very protective and also very caring towards their mothers.

    Reagan sounds really sweet. Even it she is super needy right now. Trust me... I can relate to that temper tantrum behavior and it has been seven months, but it is coming slowly.

    Keep blogging, I am loving following along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to hear how life is going for the "six pack" i like that ;)
    garrett left for collge a month before we adopted emma lael....good luck to your sweet girl...another chapter in her life that will be filled with great times and growing.

    love the pictures

    ReplyDelete