Saturday, March 31, 2012

Out with the White. In with the Yellow.

Mason recently had his very first taekwondo belt test.  He tested for his yellow belt.  To say he loves taekwondo is an understatement.  It has been the perfect fit for our boy, he lives for his class days.  

I was nervous for the test.  I had no idea what to expect.  This has been a whole new experience for us.  I was not concerned about him doing his forms correctly, it was knowing Korean vocabulary, our address and phone number that worried me. He's only been in taekwondo for a little of over eight weeks and to be honest, we did go over the Korean vocabulary but not often.  I didn't realize what a big part of the test it would be.

Mason had nowhere the nerves I had.  When I asked him how he was doing and if he was nervous as we were driving to the studio he asked me, "Nervous for what, Mama?" 

The nerves did start to set in as soon as the instructor started quizzing the students on the Korean vocabulary.  I could see the nerves in his face and heard it in his voice but soon it was on to forms and we were all very relieved.

The last part of the test was breaking a board with a bad habit written on it.  His board said, Saying I can't. This was his favorite part of the whole test.  He broke it very easily and the smile on his face was priceless.  I wish I had gotten it on camera but I was so caught up in the moment I forgot all about taking pictures.

He passed!

3 comments:

  1. Good for him, it can be a challenging sport, but teaches them so much. I am sure he will go far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I want see him in action.

    ReplyDelete